JAMES R. “JIM” KENNEDY, JR.
Jim Kennedy’s office is located in the historically recognized Orange Grove Caretakers Cottage, built before 1877, near the Courthouse in downtown St. Petersburg since April, 1983. James R. Kennedy, Jr. graduated from the Stetson University College of Law in Gulfport, Florida in December, 1981 and was admitted to the Florida Bar May 14, 1982, and is a member of the St. Petersburg Bar Association.
Jim Kennedy has practiced as a sole practitioner since 1983. His practice consists of civil litigation, including family law, personal injury and medical malpractice, estate planning, which includes Wills, Trusts, Guardianships and Probate.
Born in Roselle, NJ, Mr. Kennedy graduated Cum Laude from Rider College in Lawrenceville, NJ, with a degree in political science and economics. Jim has been a resident of St. Petersburg for over 30 years. In 2007 James R. “Jim” Kennedy, Jr. was appointed to the District 2 seat on St. Petersburg City Council and he was re-elected in 2009 and re-elected in 2013.
He is married to his wife Norma. He has two daughters, one a graduate from University of Florida with a Master’s in public health and one a graduate of UCF. He is also the proud grandfather of two grandsons.
His City Council and Community Involvement includes:
- Past Chairman of City Council
- Chairman of the Budget, Finance & Taxation Committee
- Chairman of the Investment Oversight Committee
- Chairman of EMS Committee
- Public Services & Infrastructure Committee
- Council Procedures Committee
- International Relations Committee
- City’s representative and chairman on the Pinellas Planning Council
- City’s representative on the Forward Pinellas (Metropolitan Planning Organization and Pinellas Planning Council), Chair 2015 & 2016
- Advisory Committee for Pinellas Transportation
- Member of Public Art Commission
- Leadership St. Pete class of 1991
- Chairman of Community Alliance Education Committee
- Community Action Stops Abuse (CASA), President and Treasurer of the Board of Directors, Fund Development Chair, Transitional Housing Chair
- Community Alliance
- Member of Chamber of Commerce
- NASD Arbitrator
- Chair of the Family Law Division and speaker’s bureau with the St. Petersburg Bar Association
- Community Law Program
BARBARA J. AMBRESTER, F.R.P.
Barbara has been with the Law Office of James R. Kennedy, Jr. since March, 2002. She is originally from Chicago, IL and has been a Florida resident since 1974. She graduated from Seminole High School and received an Associate in Science degree in Paralegal Studies from St. Petersburg College. She is registered with the Florida Bar as a Florida Registered Paralegal since February, 2011.
She has two grown adult daughters, one a graduate of the University of Florida and the other also a graduate from St. Petersburg College.
Stephanie is our most recent addition to the Law Office of James R. Kennedy, Jr. She has been with y office since 2013. She is originally from New Jersey, and has been a resident of St. Petersburg since 1992.